||Additional reporting by Katelyn Eng, Maya Berardi, and Carolyn Abramowich||
1. Fidget Spinners- There is a lot of variation within these seemingly simple objects: some light up, some play music, some have multiple prongs, and much more, and beyond, their aesthetic appeal and the fun they brought, fidget spinners were a useful, yet simple, way for people to de-stress or keep themselves occupied.
2. Some A1 Movies- 2017 was a year of mixed emotions, but one thing that did not change was the large sum manifested solely by ticket sales in movie theatre box offices. From the early release of Moana in June, to the later release of Lady Bird in December. The active stream of top notch movies did not end, let alone disappoint.
3. Mermaid Hair- This aesthetically pleasing trend was full of fun, vibrant colors that transformed people’s hair into works of art, and it was amazing way to show off the creativity of stylists all over our Instagram feeds. Overall, this was a trend to dye for, and it will be dearly missed.
4. Vine- Vine was officially ended on January 17th of this year. This social media platform, which was a source of comedic release for countless teens, has been missed, with many people watching hours of “The Best of Vine” compilation videos. Today’s teens owe several memes to this now deceased app, and, although we are leaving it in 2017, it will continue to hold a special place in our hearts for years to come.
5. Political Activism- President Trump’s inauguration on January 20th and the consequent Women’s March, the largest single day protest in US history, at the beginning of 2017 set the stage for a politically tumultuous year. Citizens were inspired to become more involved than ever, debating propositions such as the travel ban, tax plan, and net neutrality. Sexual harassment scandals also were pushed to the forefront at the end of the year, as the fitting conclusion to a period of such unexpected political twists.